Originally Posted By: Rodion
Quality wise, there's no noticeable difference. Victorinox is more open to unconventional components a-la pens, flash drives and LED lights - which makes it the ideal choice for keychain carry.

Wewnger, on the other hand, has the evogrip series, which is an absolute delight to use and thus preferable in "working" and outdoor knives. The gap widens when the New Ranger line enters the equation.

New Rangers also sport some of the baddest components to grace any SAK, ever, with their locking flatheads, massive scissors, full size folding pliers and enormous - and ergonomic - wood saws.

I've used both the locking Wenger (Wenger Mountaineer) and it's Victorinox equivalent (Trailmaster or Locksmith.) On balance the Trailmaster is - for me - the better knife. It's slightly smaller, easier to carry and most interestingly the saw is much less prone to binding when sawing greenwood. That is because the saw is thinner. I also have issues with the sheer size of the Wenger. The Victorinox has about a 3" blade against the Wengers 4". In a pocket knife 4" is simply too large.

The Wenger is a good knife. Very good. Excellent survival knife but I just happen to prefer the Vic.

One other point: In terms of a survival knife I consider the serrations on the Trekker and the '09 preferable to the straight edge of the Wengers. I find them far more proficient at dealing with fibrous material.