Ok, this is something I have been contemplating for about 6 months or so now. But, it has gone from "considering" to "I WANT one". I have done some research online, but, it seems, in my area anyway, these are scarce (New England). I was hoping to simply purchase one, but it seems the only manufacturers are on the left coast, so that likely will not happen.
I also notice that a LOT of folks BUILD there own. Now, I am not NOT handy with tools, but I am wondering what the difficulty level of one of these builds is? I have access to likely every tool thats needed. My father is a carpenter, electrician, mechanic, welder...he has done pretty much all when it comes to trades. He is retirement age now, but likely would love to help build something like this. Besides, I'd need a place to store it, as I live in an apt complex.
So, to get to my question; does anyone here own one? If so, what are the good/bad features? This, for me, is for long weekend trips, as an alternative to hotels. I am intrigued with these, as they are spartan by design, and I like that-it will limit my gear. I have looked at several models and amenities, but would be quite happy with a basic design (I like the ones with the internal shelving though).
So, if you use one, how do you like it? What are some of the things to look out for? Did you buy, or build? What made you decide to go this route? How difficult is it to build one (based on rudimentary skills)? Do you regret going this route?

I know its a lot to ask, but, if I am going to go this route, and dump money into it, I want to make sure this isnt a worthless investment for me.