Originally Posted By: hikermor
You can usually find a bar about six feet long, pointed at one end, chisel at the other. They give better leverage than he larger crowbars.

I can vouch for the long pry bars at Ace Hardware - although they seem a smidgen lighter than the ones used by the local FD for CERT training, they worked well in real weight tests during a refresher training session. Someone said something about give me a lever and I'll move the world, that's what you wish for in a S&R lift situation. And they were only $28, I have bought 3, one for my brother who lives a couple blocks away, another for a brother organizing a CERT team 5 miles away. (usual disclaimer, not paid or employed by the long pry bar people or Ace Hardware, just a happy customer / consumer)

I also decided to sacrifice a long-neglected 4x4 and some scrap 2x4s, and chopped them into short lengths, and filled an empty garbage can with them. I'm sure there will be cribbing material after a bad shake, but I figure it isn't so safe to pull cribbing material from fallen structures, and it would be better to have it ready and semi-portable (by 2 rescuers). Two pair of cheap gloves and goggles go on top, I am always redudant with those...