There are earthquakes and then there are earthquakes. The energy they release varies enormously and, yes, it is possible to experience an earthquake that is going to break just about anything - something on the order of a magnitude 9 + (which occurred in Alaska in 1964). If we get one of those, well, I have lived a long, useful, and productive life - no regrets. Those quakes are beyond the scope of nearly all building codes.

But most quakes are of lesser magnitude and can be resisted relatively effectively. It is no accident that wood frame construction is standard in Southern California. Properly done, it resists shaking very effectively. One of the key items is to insure that the house is properly tied to its foundation, an issue with older dwellings. Of course wood is flammable, and follow on fires resulting from broken gas mains, etc. are a real potential. All I can say is that right now I know where my gas shut off key is located (right next to my fire tools) - I am not as sure about my car keys. There are also automatic gas line shutoffs, but their utility is debatable.

I don't know anything at all about earthquake measures taken for high rise construction, but the ones we have seem to do OK up to about magnitude 6.5 or so. I suspect that the glass in those things have various coatings that might allow them to resist the twisting of a quake.

While southern California is not earthquake proof, it is in better shape that many other susceptible places. Earthquakes of similar energy routinely cause much higher death tolls in other regions. Infrastructure does make a difference, as does a relatively well educated and trained population.

Still, the LA Times had a recent piece pointing out that the region has fallen behind in earthquake preps. I look at Haiti and think "We're next...."

Right now we are bracing for mudflows and landslides from the areas recently burned, as heavy rains visit us. If it ain't one thing, it's another.