Originally Posted By: Pete

This particular subject - availability of clean drinking water in a large-scale disaster zone - is a major headache. It is a good "personal challenge" for all the members of this forum ... in terms of coming up with possible solutions.

other Pete

Boiling is about the best way to be sure of potable water. You make an excellent point about the difficulty of bringing in the more usual proprietary fuel sources available in the developed world. This would incline me to bring in one (or more) alcohol stoves or the raw materials from which they could be fabricated. Alcohol comes in many different varieties, such as booze, and can usually be made to work. Also bring in the basics for fabrication of a hobo stove (big tin can originally containing food). Then you can burn local materials much more efficiently. Anything other than air or boat transport, and I would try very hard to include my beloved and dependable Pocket Rocket, obviously along with as many fuel canisters as I could include.

One of the reasons I really like boiling as a means of purification is a trip I took to China with a group of cavers some years ago. We would up deep in rural areas. Our food was prepared by local chefs and the potable water came from boiling. I never saw the source of the water we drank, but I am pretty sure it was a local irrigation ditch. We were a group of twelve, in country for a month. Number of intestinal upsets in the group - none, nada, zip. Boil away, I say.