It seems that there are lots of supplies stacking up at the airport. The problem is getting them out of the supply depot to the various parts of the area that need it. So I don't see the problem as being an island, but rather the destruction of the local roads and associated infrastructure. If things were working as they should, the airport should be getting emptied of supplies as fast as the planes arrive.

I just saw films of them dropping supplies from a Blackhawk, with the folks on the ground making a mad dash to grab what they can. This is not going to sustain a large population, even with lots of helicopters.

What is needed is lots of supply trucks to go to lots of different neighborhoods. That is obvious. But it is not happening and that is the bottleneck now. One that could last a while. Until such an effort is up and running, your on your own.

It is this type of destruction of the local transportation infrastructure that I think is the danger/problem even in the USA in the event of a large regional disaster. We depend more than we realize on the daily arrivals of thousands of tractor-trailers of food to our neighborhoods. If all or almost all of the roads are out, your going to be in for a long wait for the network to recover.