The question you're asking is a LOT harder than you think. I've been looking for answers to that question for 15 years now ... and I'm still on the learning curve.

If you put together a massive list of personal supplies - it all looks good on paper. But by the time you get it all together, you'll be lucky if you can fit it into two large duffel bags. Great - but what do you plan to DO to actually help the people that you are reaching? Two bags is the limit for a standard passenger on a commercial aircraft. You've succeeded in being 100% prepared to guarantee your own survival ... and 0% prepared to help that people who are suffering in the disaster zone.

So - to move you along. You need to MINIMIZE the massive lists of survival gear that people are preparing here. THROW OUT at least 50-60% of the gear. That's right ... leave it at home! Truth its ... you don't really need it anyway. it just makes you a target for 3'rd world looters and robbers.

It takes experience to make that final cut - which gear really needs to go and which gear does not. You've got to know your destination fairly well, and estimate what can be improvised from the local stuff that's available.

Do you see why I occasionally drop into this forum now. I don't pay attention at all to all the people making lists of PSK's. But I DO pay great attention to people who can improvise effective survival solutions from simple everyday stuff. That's a real skill!! There are some great suggestions on this forum.

Ohhh .. and by the way. Tell your friend good luck and best wishes with his trip. He's doing something good for the world - and that counts for a lot! It really won't matter if he forgets some gear - there will be so many other volunteers in Haiti that he should be able to trade/buy anything that he has forgotten. So there's absolutely no need for him to stress out.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (01/17/10 03:48 PM)