Thanks for the input Matthew. And welcome. I knew there would be some rescue professionals offering better input. Good to know about the lighters and matches, I did not know about issues with those at airports (I don't fly). Any problems with the flint and steel? Could you include that with the regular kit if there is not any airport issues? The wind-up torch (That is a flashlight with a crank, right?) seems like a good idea - no extra batteries needed. But what if you have to work in the dark and need both hands? Like I said I am not a professional but this seems like it could be a likely scenario in a major catastrophe. A headlight could be a valuable addition to the kit. I am also trying to figure out how the kit items are to be stowed. Some of it seems to be large items (folding bucket, 4 t-shirts, life jacket, hat and such) that would not stow easily in pockets. I assume this is not intended to be a pocket sized personal kit. So does it all go in the Pelican case for travel, unpacked when you reach the site and place what will fit in the vest and other pockets? Stow the rest in the case and lock it up? Is it all loose and up to the individual to place where they want or are the smaller items (duct tape, twine, can opener, etc) in their own case (a kit if you will)? Is the universal bath plug useful for other than its intended purpose? Could you comment on some less obvious intended purposes of the items you list? For instance, the folding bucket, useful for a lot of different things but is it intended for a portable loo, carrying water, or something else? Maybe something medical? Vomit catcher or stowage for medical waste? I hope you and everyone else will forgive my ignorance.

Jerry, I looked at part of your original post.

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
What would you carry for a personal kit (not the equipment you bring to help others) if you were going to Haiti to help in the current crisis?

I was just wondering if you are talking about a pocket-sized kit, or pack-sized? I would think both would probably be a good idea. A little redundancy never hurt anybody. laugh Do you want just kit items or can we add personal items not neccessarily part of the kit to our list? For instance, I did not put a hat on my list because I figured someone would already be wearing one. For a pack-sized kit I would add some mosquito netting, maybe a hammock (I am thinking you would not want to sleep on the ground in Haiti - snakes, spiders, etc), shovel, tarps and so on. Sorry to ramble but it seems everyone has a different take as to what comprises a personal kit. Perhaps we should allow categories here for items on person (hat, sunglasses, gloves), items in pocket kit, and items in pack kit. I know the pros take this for granted but for the average joes like me it would be a big help. Carry on.