This is something that I have noticed also, the quality of the items in the survival fishing kit were awful, obviously the person putting most of the commercial kits together were not fishermen. I carry a bigger than normal fishing kit because I love to fish and like to keep the right gear close to hand. Three things that I think that you should always have in your kit are, quality hand tied fly hooks in a variety of patterns, my favorites are telico nymph, hares ear nymph, and adams dry fly. Beetlespin lures, work on a variety of species of fish, and work well. A spool of 4 pound test line, the type that is sold to tie your own leaders, again quality, not walmart. I am not suggesting that this be the only line you carry but in a survival situation I will probably go for the small frying pan size fish instead of the lunkers, much easier on the tackle, plentiful, and in most cases easier to catch. My heavy line will be used for limb lines and trot lines. As far as hooks go I am a fan of Tru Turn hooks I always touch up the point myself, you know it is sharp enough when you drag it across your thumbnail and it grabs and doesn't slide. One more thing that I like to keep with me is a piece of emory cloth, it doesn't take up much space and is handy to sharpen hooks and even your knife in an emergency. Chris