Ditto Doug.

I lived on Mt. Hood (2500-foot level) during my formative driving years. Had a '69 Mustang. I carried chains in the trunk and always got good result putting them on the rear (drive) wheels. With a rear wheel car it's also good to put some extra weight in the trunk to improve traction.

I did once add a chain to one of the front tires to get help steering when we also had a lot of ice. I think that was the storm that required me driving through the Gorge in a snowplow-led caravan on I-84, to get back to school after Christmas break.

My brother was Mr. 4x4 and rarely used chains at all. I do remember him once chaining up all four wheels on his '71 Blazer when we got 5-feet of snow in 36 hours. That was an unusual storm. His first car was a '53 Willy's with a short-block V-8.

I have chains for my 2004 Honda Element (kind of absurd for the mid-Atlantic but I can't break the habits of my Cascade Mountains days). Low-profile chains that are supposed to go on the front wheels -- the primary drive wheels in the Element's AWD system.