Originally Posted By: KenK
Natural materials are nice, but lots and lots of folks have camped in cold weather and hung around campfires without serious injury.
The comfort and benefits of synthetics are just too good to stay away from them in winter.
Heck, thousands - tens of thousands - of Scouts winter camp without major problems, and they love hanging around the campfires.
Follow simple precautions and things will be OK.

Yes, I agree with all the above, to a point.
The 3 guys I know that suffered horrible burns were in 3 different incidents and all involved accelerant.
2 were propane, one was methanol.

The methanol victim was about 12 years old & fooling around with a jug of methanol.
Methanol burns with almost invisible flame - you can't see it in daylight.
He thought the fire was out & added more fuel.
Burning methanol splashed onto his nylon shirt, which ignited & melted into his side & arm.
Years later the scars were still impressive.
Had he been wearing a cotton shirt the injuries would have been much less.
Had it been wool, maybe no injuries at all.

We could say a 12-yr old shld know better, we could say he should have been supervised more closely...
but who hasn't done something dumb as a 12-year old?

I guess my point is that if I know 3 guys who have been burned due (partly) to synthetic clothing, then the statistics must be pretty high for the general public.

Almost all my dirtbike gear is synthetic. There are 3 gallons of gasoline in the tank in front of my crotch.
We often have a little camp-fire (sometimes a BIG camp-fire)
Things that make ya say 'hmmmm...'

Edited by fasteer (01/10/10 03:49 AM)