I have about 15 gallons in clear 1 gallon plastic jugs stored in the basement (raised off the cement floor) that I never cycle. These came straight from the store and are not treated. I don't feel any need to cycle these because I've never found any evidence that water, once stored properly, will go "bad." While water might taste flat if stored for a long time, it will still hydrate you and can be made to taste normal simply by aerating it (simply shaking the container will work). I also have two 7 gallon buckets that store water unless I'm brewing beer. Clearly the water in these buckets is cycled when I brew. The water in the buckets is treated with bleach and stored elevated off the cement floor in the basement. I recently brewed a batch of beer after a 20 month lapse (birth of DD), and found some mold/algae growing on top of the water in one of the buckets (two or three colonies, none larger than a dime). Left-over nutrients from the prior beer batch might be responsible (clearly I did not store this water properly). A case of bottled water also is stored in the back of each car in my family. This water is cycled probably 3 times each year as the water is consumed. I have a tankless water heater, so no dice there.