If you can and have the ability and you are truly concerned if issues pop up I would sugest pulling a slead and negating the space issue.

If the trails you are on are highly traveled you may (please no one shoot me for this) be able to get away without the need for sleeping bags and tent/bivisac. Personaly I would find a sled trailer that you can pull and put the gear you need on the sled and not have to worry about spending an night out on the trail.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he does about 120 to 150 miles a day on his slead, so 90 per day is resonable.

One of my concerns is that you don't know the area and that you are on a motorized mode of transportation. Why the conern about the motor? Besides the obvious about breaking down and all that there is the conern that when things go wrong, they will go wrong fast and in a bit way. All it will take is about 20 min of "I am on the trail" thinking when you are not on a trail at all and next thing you know you are about 10 to 20 miles from the trail or anything.

As for gear,, I cant recomend enough that you Carry a sheath knife. Yeah you have your pocket knife, but have you ever tried to open a pocket knife with a glove on? and don't even put that sucker near your teath to try to open it, even one handed opening knives don't realy work well with gloves on. If you had to get to the knife due to an emergency you will not pay attention to where you put your glove as you rip it off, and next thing you know once the chrissis is overted, or delt with, your wearing a sock on your hand trying to keep your fingers warm.

Having the GPS is great, but a compas doesn't take bateries!

I don't know what kind of tow strap your bringing but you cna usualy get away with replacing that and recovering some fo the space, with 1 inch webbing and carabiners (NO, it isn't perfect but you can regain about 1 square foot of space by doing this)

I woudl add a camelback drinking system,, they make them for the winter and can keep your watter warm to prevent freezing and allow you to drink on the fly.

Snow shovel. and if you are going into back country you need a hatchet/ax,

Just some thougths.

Edited by Tyber (01/07/10 05:45 PM)