As I mentioned earlier, my aim is to have a very good tool for a specific purpose. I'm too old to enjoy reading books on a PDA screen; did that with the Handspring device 8-10 years ago; darn trifocals make that hard nowadays. I have the same problem with the iTouch and similar products, screen's too small and I can't use thumb-type keyboards (don't have two full thumbs). I've not had much luck using tablet computers and really, to be useful as computers, they need to be of a size that makes them unwieldy as a casual device to carry around.

To sum up the my position so far (and many thanks for your suggestions) I would prefer a lighweight, purpose-built, long battey life device with an easy to read screen, simple controls, multi-format capable, don't have to take to a store to download new books and be able to have control over my library.

Not so hard, eh?

For those who have them, what price range are the books you purchase? Is one (Amazon vs. B&N) cheaper than another?

Thanks for all the input!