Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

The hose and fittings to adapt small propane units to bulk bottles are okay, and they add adaptability, but they don't work on the most compact units because the one-pound bottle is part of their structure and IMO a twenty pound tank is more of a risk and far less easily handled by smaller, weaker people than the smaller bottles.

There are fittings that allow you to refill the one-pound bottles from a bulk tank but using them can violate several seldom enforced laws and can be a slightly risky process. People go that way and have few problems but they are on their own.

Good point about the single burner, normally supported by the tank. This is not an insurmountable problem. I always planned to support the burner, which is very sturdy, with two cinder blocks (or anything else non-flammable). Or any other suitable structure; not hard to improvise; just make sure there is adequate cooling and ventilation below, and no weight on the hose.

The nice thing about the adapter+20lb tank is that, provided the hose is long enough, you can leave the stove indoors and the "big bomb" outside. That strikes me as an excellent plan.

Regardless of method, I'm sure we all agree that a camp stove used indoors should be a used-under-direct-supervision stove. Always.