I have not invoked Spyderco's warranty; mostly, I have been quite happy with their product.

I have a "Delica Clipit" that is at least 15 years old and is still going strong. The blade is pretty heavily worn, and I tapped a screw through the clip to increase its gripping power, but it keeps on trucking.

I also have a nice, thin Endura (IIRC) synthetic handle that has been in my pocket for a large number of backcountry trips. Thin, light, razor sharp. Love it.

There's a Ladybug (I think) on my keychain. Great little sharp for day-to-day cuts, and doesn't freak out the folks around you.

My major beef with some of the Spydercos is that the backspring is too weak in some of them. If you're cutting rope or boxes, who cares; but if you're using a hammer grip to carve wood, the backspring will stick up under pressure and give you a nasty cut/blister between your thumb and forefinger. Grr! I have taken a diamond file and rounded off those nasty protrusions on two Spydercos, built decades apart. Argh!

I like the current design, which adds a steel reinforcement to the synthetic handles. I never entirely trusted the Spyderco clan for serious abuse until they did this.

BTW, I scored two Byrd Cara Caras for a great price just before the midnight cutoff (end of year sale). They're not officially Spydercos, but I have a hard time telling the difference. Thin, light, sharp, with more reserve strength and a great pocket clip. Love 'em!

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/02/10 04:29 AM)