My company just installed a GPS in my work van (Chev Suburban). This is no little handheld unit, the keyboard sits right between the front seats, and there are wires and 'things' all over.

Right after this thing was installed, I had to go to a pickup site that requires me to unlock a gate. I have to park on a slope to get my tail off the road, so I always put it in park and set the emergency brake (I am unlocking a cranky lock, standing between the solid metal barrier gate and the front of the Suburban). eek

This time, I lifted my foot to engage the emergency brake, and something was in the way. I turn on the interior light and can't believe what they've done. They have mounted a large (2" wide) plug on a 1/4" cable directly over the emergency brake.

The only way to use the brake is to turn on the interior light so I can see what I'm doing, press the bit of brake that is still exposed with my toe until I get it down far enough to slide my foot under the new plug, and then press it down to engage it.

Does this sound like a good idea to you??? I am often working around poorly maintained roads, turning around in precarious areas with almost sheer drop-offs, etc. If I need that brake in a hurry, I can't use it as it is. My lead driver said all the vehicles are set up that way, everyone has complained, and the company just ignores it. As usual, they will wait until a driver has an accident, then fire the driver and send out endless memos to micro-manage a problem they caused themselves.

Question: If I caught a State Patrol officer who wasn't busy, and asked him to look at it, do you think I could get him to write me a 'fix-it ticket' or something?

Any other solutions from anyone would be very welcome. Just be aware that this company is the vindictive type.

Thanks,

Sue