Originally Posted By: scafool
It wasn't a GPS with bad directions that caused these people to get stuck. Not in any one of the cases mentioned.

Very true and too the point.
Originally Posted By: scafool
Driving down a road that was impassable for their vehicle was what got them stuck. Even the claim that they could not turn around is ludicrous, there is a reason vehicles have reverse gear.

Now that is not only a little harsh, but shows poor understanding of the conditions. In reality, once you've started on a narrow road you've essentially passed the point of no return. By the time you realize you've made a mistake it is too late unless you find a convenient spot to turn (which is difficult - the snow covers everyting, hard to see those spots).

Going in reverse in deep snow on a narrow road is very, very difficult. You need speed (= momentum) to traverse challenging spots and going uphill. Too slow and you get stuck. Very few people are good at reversing at 10-15-20 mph. Unless you've done a lot of practice on high speed reverse driving recently this is NOT something you're going to excell at.

I had a very humbling experience trying to challenge a steep, very slippery hill which started just after a sharp curve. After some interesting pirouettes when the car started sliding backwards at the steepest point (FUN! Skidding around in the parking lot finally paid off!) I tried going up the hill in reverse. This is an old trick that maximises the weight on the front wheels (the driving wheels on my car). This trick also involved negotiating the sharp curve at 15 mph in reverse. Came a bit too close to the inner edge - bummer! Stuck! The snow plow pulled us out 20 minutes later.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (12/29/09 10:03 PM)