I enjoyed it at the time, and thought it better than Titanic. Technically it is impressive and the CGI crosses the uncanny valley.

However, I did find the 3D was occasionally gimmicky and distracting. Not as bad as some other films, but, eg, there's a moment when a long gun barrel pokes you in the eye. They need to realise that having ashes fall on your lap does not make it more immersive. Instead it takes you out of the film.

Given that there's a new world to assimilate, perhaps the story needed to be light, at least to start with. I wasn't bored. A lot of my criticism developed when thinking about the film afterwards - but then I hated it. The characters are weak, there are no surprises. It lacks the depth of, say, Terminator 2.

I gather that now they have the computer models, a sequel will be relatively cheap to make, and since this film looks like being commercially successful it's very likely to happen. That could be promising. Maybe they'll put in a decent story, open it out a little like the Matrix sequels. Maybe it will turn out that the Unobtainium (hateful, lazy name) cures a disease billions are suffering from so the Company was mining it for good reasons. Maybe they'll explain where the Na'vi came from (they clearly didn't evolve with the local wildlife - they have the wrong number of arms). Cameron is arguably at his best when doing sequels (eg Aliens 2, Terminator 2).