I'm thrilled with my LED Lenser H7R headlamp, a Christmas present to myself. It is rechargeable (NiMH) but you can also use regular AAA batteries. It has *continuously variable* brightness and flood-to-spot controls! Claimed 139 lumen brightness. I like being able to use it as much as I want without having to conserve battery life. I also like its simple separate controls rather than reusing the same button for a multitude of functions. It is electronically regulated for relatively constant light output as the battery discharges, and the regulation circuit does not switch the LED off-and-on rapidly (I hate that strobe effect); it at least appears to stay on continuously. You can recharge from either the wall charger or a computer USB port. It tells you when it is charged (a blinking green LED becomes continuously lit). As for gripes, the main things I wish it had are: a red auxiliary LED for preserving night vision, an emergency flash mode, and more detent positions in swiveling up-and-down. And while it has a good-quality white light, I'm still waiting for true continuous spectrum white LEDs to become the new industry standard. It is also relatively expensive, about $65 - $70+ USD. Now that I use a headlamp almost exclusively it feels limiting to have to hold a flashlight in my hand. Sorry this sounds like a commercial... no commercial ties, usual disclaimers, etc. If you order one online you may want to be careful to get the latest revision of this model that is available. Older ones apparently don't have the USB-bus-compatible charger cable, and I've seen references to what may be an even newer revision than mine, which has a 160 lumen max brightness, but I can't confirm that.

Steve