Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Fenix L2D: Exceptionally bright (180 lumens) for a 2xAA light. Wish low was much lower, like 5 instead of 12 lumens, which would give a run-time of over 100 hours instead of 55. Complicated user interface: would prefer low-med-high-turbo without the blinking modes. Expensive at $60 at Amazon.

The L2D is a very nice light. In the 2xAA form factor I would recommend the Quark AA^2 from 4sevens.com -- it uses a more efficient emitter, it's a little less expensive, has a lower low and a higher maximum. While I don't own an L2D or a Quark AA^2, I do have a bunch of Fenix and Quark lights and the quality is much more than you might expect from a budget-priced LED made in China.

For a AAA light I'd suggest the iTP A3 EOS Upgrade from batteryjunction.com. iTP makes the Maratac AAA -- the two lights have the same emitter and slightly different bodies. The iTP version has a more robust lanyard/keyring attachment point. Most of the feedback on the Maratac AAA has been that the attachment point is fine, but my personal experience was not so positive.

My 1xAAA light of choice is the IlluminaTi, a titanium version with a different body and the latest emitter. It's also more than twice the cost of the Maratac or iTP.

Also, be advised that the Maratac AAA and iTP A3 EOS Upgrade both start at Medium output, then Low then High. My preference is L -> M -> H. While I use Medium the most, I don't want the light to come on in Medium and potentially compromise my night vision. The IlluminaTi has a L -> M -> H user interface.

Both batteryjunction.com and 4sevens.com are great vendors that I've ordered from a bunch and I like a lot. I have no affiliation with them other than as a customer.