Yeah, the roads were not the place to be today. My vehicle is very snow capable and I have tire chains and great tires, but decided not to contribute to impeding snow plows.

I-81 through Virginia is frightfully Darwinian on a good day, can't imagine driving it through this storm. God bless those who did. And locally, while surely many who did venture out didn't need to, there are still people who have to work in the worst weather. Some of them probably spent half the day in the car.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/19/AR2009121900741.html

Interstate 81 near Lexington was closed after a tractor-trailer accident Friday night, leaving thousands of motorists stranded in their cars for 12 hours or more, said Jeff Caldwell, a spokesman for the Virginia Department of Transportation. West Virginia authorities closed Interstate 77 at the Virginia border, and though it was reopened late Saturday morning, the road remained clogged by abandoned cars and trailers that could not make it up the hills, Caldwell said.

"I don't care if you're from Minnesota or from Maine, you shouldn't be driving out there," said Joan Morris, a VDOT spokeswoman.