Originally Posted By: Pete

Are these PLB's designed so that you must manually turn ON the emergency signal? If that's the case, and you happen to be killed by a sudden accident while travelling in the wilderness, then the beacon can never activated. Hence no signal, and no body recovery.

It would be smart for these devices to have a special "countdown mode" as one possible option. You set the electronics working (but not broadcasting a distress signal), and then you activate a clock so that it will automatically send a distress in 12 hours - unless you intervene and say things are OK. That way if you are killed outright, the unit still turns on later and somebody can recover your body. This idea could generate some false alerts. But it would allow bodies to be found much more quickly.

other Pete

What you are describing sounds like an avalanche beacon, which, indeed, the two climbers might be wearing. It is a small device that is activated once you enter possible avalanche terrain and is typically worn around the neck (although I am sure those who don't like jewelry can attach the unit to their car keys). In the event of an avalanche, those not inundated or the arriving rescuers can turn their unit to "receive" from send and scan the area for the signal from those who are buried. There is a bit of expertise in running a proper pattern. The technology often results in the more efficient retrieval of bodies, but it has saved many lives. The batteries will transmit for weeks.

I have no idea if modern technology or the spook gadgets the military might employ could detect the signal from the air.

I haven't messed with this stuff lately.

Oops....Pete, I see from an earlier post that you don't need the avalanche beacon 101 discussion.....

Edited by hikermor (12/16/09 01:14 PM)