Originally Posted By: Pete
.... Insufficient data. The media often forget that when they fail to report facts accurately, they may be screening out a solution to the problem that is taking place. The news is not about writing "stories" ... it's about getting the facts.

News today is first and foremost about speed. Accuracy is neglected. On cases like this, my basic assumption is that media won't be able to get ANY technical details correct. Doesn't matter if some detail is repeated in every news channel - it is the same misinterpretation of the same source, repeated by every paper and TV station because it makes a great story. Repetition doesn't make it any more true.

Luckily SAR operations is not run by media. Leaders of ongoing SAR operations will have a much better and updated picture and know a lot of stuff that never reach the media.

I disagree with those whose gut reaction it is to claim that SAR services should be restricted or paid for. Rescuing people seems to be a pretty good investment (and yes, that includes saving someone whose choices may have been negligent, stupid or uninformed). It is among the things I am most happy and willing to pay tax for.

And please don't tell me that experienced climbers don't know the risks and dangers of climbing and weather. All climbers above some minimum level know perfectly well that if they're stuck and the weather is bad, they will be on their own. The presence or absence of SAR services won't have any effects on climbers decision to climb or not to climb.

My deepest thoughts and sympathy for the climbers, their family and friends...