A tent designed for heating (not the modern backpack tent) can be wonderfully warm in the winter. I have lived in tents of several designs (most of them double walled) including wall, wedge, tipi style and the GI large tents. Heaters have varied from Coleman lanterns or stoves to box heaters and large wood stoves. In the Antarctic I have had reasonable day temps and fine sleeping down to about 65 below F.

The key is that the tent be designed for the job. The Kifiru is the only modern tent that I know of that is designed for the job. If you want to know how it can be done, read Paradise Below Zero by Calvin Rutstrum. Some moderns call him old fashioned, but you can still go out into any weather and enjoy life using his techniques.

One of the big problems with today's tents is that they are all designed for backpacking. In the winter you don't need to carry it, so like canoeing you can carry a little more so that a tent need not be so light.

The open front tents like the forrester and the Baker are great down to well below freezing if you are willing to keep a fire going all night in front of them.

The best,

Jerry Fountain