Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I know one of the people on Mt. Hood and it really saddens me to no end to see how so many can be the Monday morning armchair expert and jump to so many wild conclusions without all the facts. ...

It is different when it's one of your own. I know. I regret that you seem to have taken offense. My thoughts and prayers are with the climbers and their families.

As a group dedicated to surviving emergencies, sometimes we make rather harsh judgments about those who find themselves in harm's way. Often, we fail to distinguish between those who know and weigh the risks but choose to accept them in pursuit of sport and recreation, and those who blindly stumble into danger. Also, our group's purpose is not to condemn, but to derive useful lessons about avoiding and surviving emergencies. Moreover, it's true that only few here have extensive specific experience in the various aviation, maritime and wilderness environments that may be discussed. So I hope you'll contribute your expertise and educate us, rather than bow out.