Thanks, Dagny, for this source. Some worthwhile comments by people who have forgotten more about Mt. Hood than any of us know about the mountain.

Particularly relevant was the comment that the weather forecast gave them good conditions during the projected period of their climb, degrading in the afternoon when they would have finished.

Expectation of rescue? How in the world do we know what their attitude about this might have been? (reference is to Susan's post).

In the last fifty years, SAR capability has advanced significantly. It is primarily a citizen volunteer effort, significantly akin to the efforts made by pioneers as they worked their way west. Even at Yosemite NP, scene of some very well conducted and competent rescue operations, the teams have been a mix of park rangers and civilian climbers (who were paid, however while on the job - a good way for climbing bums to make some money).

There is a SAR paradox resulting from this increasing competence. Some, but not all people, will go out without adequate preparations, because they have heard of well conducted operations. I personally heard this from a victim who stated as we were treating his multiple injuries, "I wouldn't have tried this trip if I didn't know you guys were operating." We were high in the mountains, ten miles from the trailhead, and he had NOTHING with him - literally. The flip side of any SAR group should be public education so that people understand the reality of the outdoors.

Susan, I understand that the fatality rate among pioneers in the early days along the Oregon trail was something on the order of 30% - primarily from accidents and illness. That is pretty tough. At least on Mt. Hood, with 10,000 summit attempts a year, and roughly three annual fatalities, the odds are much better. But statistics are irrelevant when you wind up in the crosshairs.....