Originally Posted By: Susan
It is happening EVERY year! And sometimes more than once a year. There are still bodies up there that they haven't found.

If they are such experienced hikers, why are they there when this weather was predicted a week ago (at least)? Why are they calling for help? Why are they putting rescuers lives in danger to retrieve them?

Personally, I'm getting tired of these idiots. They're just bozos from the It Won't Happen To Me School of Fools.

If people insist on climbing mountains in winter, they can darned well be responsible for themselves. You go up, you get yourself down, and stop whining.

Sue

Sue, can I appeal to your better nature and ask that you don't call these climbers idiots, bozos, and fools? They went for a climb up an accessible summit adequately equipped, in a normal climbing season for that summit, they are experienced, and they are not as much endangered by adverse weather as by the possibility that they have taken a fall. If they have fallen, even if they had a PLB they might have lost it in the fall, or be incapacitated such that they couldn't activate it.

These climbers are human beings and deserve better than you've given them. My thoughts are with them and hoping for their safe return, and with their families too. And besides, I don't know any weather advisory issued a week ago that is any good in the states of Washington or Oregon. Weather forecasts are generally good for 72 hours tops, beyond that they are not very reliable.