Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Doug, how do you like the Cold Steel SF Shovel for year-round use (e.g. camping/ATVing)? I have been thinking about buying myself one for Christmas, but would have to order it unseen from a catalog store.

Mike

For laughs, I just used one to clear a path to my outhouse. Rather urgently, since DW has some friends over and I didn't want to, uh, stifle the conversation. Had to sweep through a couple of knee-high drifts and chop through a brush pile to open the path. Not fast, and took a fair bit of bending, but it got the job done.

I quite enjoy mine (I have three). They are very sturdy, and have held up well to moderate use/abuse over the last two years. They take an edge easily and hold it well enough for the spruce/poplar/willow we have here, and don't seem to chip when abused. The price we pay for them up here is outrageous, though, so they are definitely an indulgence. But I find them lots of fun to muck around with, and I would be very happy to have one if I was stranded in the bush.

Truthfully, though, it's a "fill in the gap" tool. It will do a lot of things in a pinch, and it's compact enough that you won't leave it back in camp. But if you have a lot of cutting to do, you'll start wishing for a real axe. And if you have a lot of digging to do, or snow to move, you'll wish for a long handle and bigger surface area.

Caveats aside, if you have a niche for this type of tool, I think you'd enjoy it.