Originally Posted By: Alex
Never used any (down to 5F). Why would you need it? Just get a good downy sleeping bag and a good pad.

By the way, your tent may be 1 season only type (too much ventilation).

Same here.

Never used a heater, even when camping in the snow, and my tent is a 3+ season. With a 4 season or winter tent you should be even better. Keep in mind you most likely will not find any of these tents at wal-mart, sports authority or the like. You will need to go dare I say REI, or order online. Also, if it's just you get a single person, or a really small double.

Get a 4 season or winter sleeping pad, and a bag rated accordingly. My Coleman $60 wal-mart back raged to like -10 works good down to about 25 or 30, not something to hike with but for car camping it's great for the value. I have 2 nice wool blankets I keep just in case I need to put them on me.

MooseJaw has a nice bag for a good price:
Marmot Men's Pounder Plus 25F Sleeping Bag $160. These get super tiny, and are probably actually good down to 25f (I have not used it yet for that temp.). If you go down you can easily spend 2x as much too... this bag is already an ultra-light so it was good for us!