I can't think of too many things that would cause us to leave, unless the house caught fire or something, but then we aren't going far.

Volcano's aren't much of a threat in KC, neither are hurricanes or tsunamis. New Madrid earthquake maybe, but the damage here won't likely be enough for us to leave. Tornados are the big threat here, and there is no running from them except to the basement shelter (the ultimate bugging in).

A hazmat incident is fairly likely, but almost all of them involve sheltering in place as the smart option. True nuclear (as in warhead) and it isn't going to matter much. If the house survives the blast then it's probably better than running around in the open. If it's radiological, I am grabbing my meters and will make a TON of money, since that's my gig. Radiological is nothing to be afraid of, unless it's already on or in you, and running after the fact is only more likely to contaminate you. My APRs are as good as the hazmat guys, so I'm not running from many plumes either.

Armed mobs or zombies are about the only thing we would likely run from...

Greg