I am an Appleseed Instructor and yes we see a ton of 10/22s on the line. I own 4 of them myself. Great little training rifle.

As for the Ruger synthetic stock, there are a couple of ways you can go to attach a sling. The easiest is to get an Uncle Mikes swivel that attaches to the barrel band. The problem is that the newer barrel bands are plastic and quite frankly crap. If you go to a supplier like Numerich Gun Parts (egunparts.com) you should be able to order a metal barrel band that you will be happier with.

You can use a screw version of the swivel, but be careful depending on where you mount it how far it penetrates. You can cut off the screw if it penetrates too far. Uncle Mikes sells a swivel set with one longer screw swivel and one short one. I would also recommend that you get 1.25" swivels as it will allow you to use a wide variety of slings, including a GI web sling which is what we teach at Appleseed.

As others have stated there are tons of aftermarket stocks available. If the carbine stock is too small for you (common for many men) that may be a good way to go as you will shoot much better if the stock fits you.

I would also recommend that you replace the stock sights with something like Tech-Sights. You will be much happier.

Best of luck!

Greg