Yes, get a hat. I love wool. A thin wool cap is what I use most of the time - too thick and it is too warm for most conditions. (My hood goes on if it's windy or too cold).

The latest year I've also grown very fond of a thin wool buff. It can be worn as a scarf (which I do most of the time), but can also be worn in all possible ways that a regular buff can. Protect your face and so on. It can also be worn as a cap, if you like.

The thin wool cap and the even thinner wool buff have become my favorite garments. Except for mid summer I never go anywhere without them. Particular the buff is so small that it will fit in any pocket. The multi uses of my wool buff makes it the perfect emergency item for cold conditions.

As for gloves or mittens - the search continues. I've probably used most solutions on the market, and a lot of them will work, within limitations. But I've yet to find the perfect pair of gloves or mittens.

As for the other critical heat loss areas (torso, wrist, groin and so on) - they're usually covered by clothes appropriate for the season anyway. At least for most people, most of the time... But most people won't protect their hands and head unless they're forced to.