Where to begin - I'll quote Hilary Stewart:

All parts of the cedar tree had many uses. From the wood, skilled men made ocean-going canoes, massive post-and-beam houses, monumental carved poles that declared history, rights and lineage, and powerful dance masks. Women dextrously wove the inner bark into mats and baskets, plied it into cordage and netting or processed it into soft, warm, water-repellent clothing. They also made the strong withes into heavy-duty rope and wove the roots into watertight baskets.

Among numerous other uses, a cedar split placed above your doorway will keep away evil spirits. And a cedar plank is my preferred way to cook salmon. A few years back I would make cedar planks for Christmas gifts, then they became all the fashion, someone started making them cheaper commercially - Mom gave me a commecial cedar plank one birthday, made in China for chrissakes, sealed with some nasty resin, and it almost broke my spirit. Took it back to Target...

Legend is you can always find a dry space beneath a cedar to sleep - and that works.

Such a healthy history of the cedar in the Pacific Northwest, strong and deep enough even for a haole like me to tap into.