Hi Sybert.
I agree with MDinana on this one.
Keep hold of the compass for now. You will learn to use it and Silva's Ranger15 series are pretty good.

I think with Pete's help you will have no trouble assembling a decent kit for yourself.
MDinana says that you can get a lot of the kit out of household supplies and he is right.
You will find a bit of careful shopping will get the rest at very low cost.

There is nothing magical about the individual items either and assembling the kit a bit at a time will let you consider your items more.
I mean you can think about what job the items do and carry things to do those jobs.
Keep in mind that Doug's kit was created for compactness and there are plenty of substitutions that work just as well, or even better, if being super compact is not the primary concern.
If you look through the topic threads here you will see that a lot of the members who started with Doug's PSP were soon adding and sometimes substituting their own items.

You can fit your kit to your needs better too.
Sometimes the items in a commercial kit are not what you are likely to need in the part of the world you live in. Sometimes the kits miss things you should have with you too.

I don't actually carry my kit as a kit, but I do carry everything that would be in a PSP.
Some people call it "distributed carry", "every day carry" or something like that.
Some of it is in my wallet, some in pockets and some is on zipper pulls or key rings. Some of it is part of my clothing.

I never liked wearing kit around my neck like a necklace. If you do that then make sure the necklace has a safety link that will break if it snags instead of choking you.