Drive until vehicles begin to fishtail on morning ice and snow in highway. Turn and drive back a few miles.
Ya that was kinda of fun smile

Park in volunteer fire station area per our local leader and retired fire guy. Cold, snow seasoning the ground here and there. A recent burn area - some stumps still smoking, lots of char, and drifts of burned duff. Fungi zero except one guy found some oyster mushrooms growing out from under a log.

All i found were some unknown white mushrooms and mud.

Group drives to lower elevation and searches. Mushrooms of several kinds found, especially in leaf litter under oak trees [tan and canyon oak I think]. Damsel reports finding phone lying on deer trail after she followed her mother's lead in retracing their steps from where they started.

Alas i didn't find any whily mushrooms at the lower level.
but I did find whily acorns to give to dweste.

Restaurant back room rendezvous and ID session. Folks who gambled on lower elevations than any I saw found many more types of mushrooms. Group collected about 30 types overall.

It was interesting to see all the different kinds of mushrooms.

I focused on edible fungi. Oyster, white chantrelle, deer, puffball, and "slippery Jack" 'shrooms.

Made some more contacts, learned about some more 'shrooming hot spots, and solidified some new relationships. I need to invest in the local bible, Mushrooms Demystified, and spend some time with it.

Thanks for the reminder on the title of that book

katarin]