Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses! To add some more info, yes the school does recommend such insurance (like the Towson site) but doesn't point you to a specific outfit. My girls friends have purchased from www.medexassist.com/ (not a recommendation just pointing it out). For a student abroad they seem to be affordable (couple of hundred bucks to cover for a year). It looks like their primary offering is to get you to a good medical facility in country or to "repatriate" you back home. I definitely see some value in that. From what I am reading, these companies may or may not pick up the actual doctor/hospital costs. I think my insurance would pay for that (but will have to ask them). I guess my fear is that something happens and I would want to get them home to the US pronto. Pre-positioning a response capability would make the wifey and me sleep better. It would be interesting to hear any personal stories from folks that had to and did make use of the repat feature, or any other experiences with this type of add on insurance.

Edited by Streamside (11/30/09 06:38 PM)