Originally Posted By: Susan
I think trying to take a trailered boat through the debris after a major quake would be a joke, and not a very funny one. I would bet that getting a 4WD fifty miles south would be a real trick.

This was suggested for someone who lives on a peninsula. Lots of possible access routes to water. Only ONE direction out on land (and that one will probably be clogged due to the collapse of numerous overpasses). And as his main plan is to stay put for 30 days, he can make use of that time to explore possible routes.

Originally Posted By: Susan

And having a boat on water soon after a quake... uh... no, thanks. Even if it didn't cause a tsunami, the probable multiple aftershocks would make rough going. Not to mention all the debris in the water.

Again, this was suggested as a separate "bail-out" option for someone intended to wait out for 30 days. Debris may or may not be a problem, but after shocks shouldn't.

The boat I had in mind was a small day cruiser. A sailboat will be self-sustainable for longer periods, but the trade-off for a day cruiser is that you cover longer distances in a short time. The range is limited to how much fuel you carry. The main trade-off is their load capacity: You can't load the boat more than its rated capacity, or you won't get to economical cruising speeds. You can have 5-6 persons and the most critical gear + fuel, or 2-4 persons and lots of gear & fuel.

This will only be an option if
a) You have access to weather forecast. You need good conditions, not only for safety but also for speed. Weather radio solves this.

b) You have - or can make - arrangements at your destination. Either you go to an unharmed port, or you make arrangements for someone to pick you up somewhere. If you're willing to write off the boat any beach will do. Anyway, you need communications to make those arrangements. Or at the very least, you need updated information of how far you need to go to reach help.

c) You're willing to take the burden of maintaining the boat and using it enough to be familiar with its operation.