Getting the balance between ensuring enough ventilation and access to the stove controls and ensuring a good enough shield from the wind can be a bit tricky. I have punched through some holes using a paper punch at the bottom of the windshield. The idea was that the wind shield would be pegged to the ground using 4-5 lightweight ti tent pegs with the wind shield arranged in a horseshoe arrangement with the curved top part formed into the direction of the wind. The Titanium sheet is quite rigid even when not formed into a tube structure so it should hopefully stand up to the wind conditions. Hopefully it will successfully replace a much heavier flat folding Rigid Aluminium wind shield like the one below.

The heat from the stove could be a problem causing the stove gas cartridge to overheat only if the stove flame actually stayed burning. When I arranged the windshield with a very narrow gap then put the pot on, the stove actually went out due to the lack of oxygen starving the flame, hence the much wider gap between the wind shield and pot. The heat exchanger on the base of the pot is very impressive at transferring the heat from the stove directly into the water as there appears to be very little heat going up the side of the pot. I might consider using an aluminium reflector though in warmer sunnier conditions but during colder days overheating the gas cartridge isn't really a problem but can help keep the gas cartridge working by maintaining internal gas temperatures above freezing.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/28/09 08:21 PM)