Rodion

Before this thread winds down ... I just wanted to explain one comment that I made. BTW, previously I have been adding random replies on this thread (instead of replying specifically to your post).

OK - the subject came up about "executing a plan". So let me explain what I mean - and what I don't mean.

First, I DON'T mean the kind of choreographed plan for self-defense where you decide "OK, I'm going to step left, then hit with a left jab, then kick". That kind of choreography can't possibly work in a random, violent situation (although the strategy might work if a specific enemy makes the wrong moves!).

In order to understand what I mean by the word "plan", it helps to put yourself in the shoes of your enemies on the street. Let's suppose, for example, that you are in a strange town and walking at evening. Your enemy in this case is a street gang with about 5-6 guys. Now - put yourself in the situation of the gang leader. Think through what he's likely to do. First, he's got a bunch of guys that are willing to fight (which is good for him and bad for you). But he's got the problem that if he simply corners you, you can run away. So it's not smart to for him to just randomly confront you. Therefore ... think it through from his point of view. If he wants to get you, it's better to confront you when he can also use his guys to block your escape. For example, the gang can can threaten you when you are crossing an intersection. Your natural move might be to retreat in the closest direction down one of the streets. The gang follows you - hot on your heels. But what they know - and you don't - is that the street is a blind alley. Or alternatively that some of the gang have positioned themselves to cut you off down the same street. Before you know it ... you are surrounded with multiple aggressive assailants. MAM's in your dictionary. Not a good thing. They are counting on you to become weakened by fear, surprise and confusion - even before they jump you. At this stage time is very short for you to respond.

So my point is this ... your attackers are likely to be following a strategy. It's not just random violence ... it is coldly calculated. Therefore, it really does help for you to analyze some likely scenario's and evaluate a general strategy that YOU will put into place. Having a strategy means you are not "disarmed mentally" by the surprise of an unexpected conflict, and you can start moving quickly to protect yourself.

You still have to think through these scenario's yourself. Decide on a few probable scenario's and work those. You can come up with effective responses if you think about it.

Pete