Homer:

It seems like whenever someone takes the responsibility of team leader - that keeping the team properly hydrated is a very difficult task. I'm not getting down on you at all. It happens to me frequently - and I primarily deal with adults. I find that I can tell people until I am blue in the face that they need to drink a lot of water - and it goes right in one ear and out the other.

Most people who come from an urban background just don't appreciate the importance of drinking enough water in the wilderness. The most common mistake is that people wait until they "feel thirsy" - by which time it's often too late and mild dehydration is already setting in. If I'm paying attention (hopefully!), I literally stop the action and make the affected person sit down and drink a lot of water. Right there, on the spot, in front of my eyes.

I have seen people get quick sick in the wilderness because of prolonged dehydration over a few days. The body's immune systems will get run down and people tend to fall apart after that. And this is not even addressing the more serious concerns of heat stroke and/or loss of sodium/potassium balance.

Anyway - good luck with the Scout troop!! The best way to avoid a lot of problems is to build up the wilderness experience gradually.

Pete

Edited by Pete (11/25/09 01:58 AM)