Many thanks to those who have contributed so far. My comments to the posts follow.

Doug, I appreciate your comments. I was actually more concerned for the kid's safety, especially the very young ones, than another parent being upset, especially with regard to matches, a knife, and fishing hooks (keep in mind I am one of the scouting parents as well and I have the same concerns for my own son and his gear). I was just wondering if those items could be left out in favor of some other options more suitable to a younger child's skill set (and maybe a bit safer - for instance, substituting warm clothing, good shelter items and warmers for matches). Or give all the options and let the parents decide what they will carry (may be difficult if the parents are not there though - a good handout for the kids to take home could solve that problem). Understand my thoughts here; a young child alone and/or lost is bad enough but a child alone and/or lost with a fish hook stuck in a finger could be disastrous.

Clearwater, good comments and kit items. I notice no knives, matches, fish hooks, etc. Any comments related to the safety of the kids?

Lono, I really liked your idea of including the older scouts on this. I will check into that for sure.

Billvann, that was the first thing I did.

Nighthiker and Ken, took the advice and also found info on the merit badge. Like you said, give them the foundation to build on.

Swampdonkey, good link (but needs to be edited) and duly noted. My intention was to get the kids involved anyway. Good to know I seem to be on the right track. Any other thoughts on teaching methods for the age group?

Thanks to Mark_M for the specific info on the whittlin chip. Have to check that out as well.

Does anyone know if the older scouts can earn a badge for teaching this? Any further comments would be greatly appreciated. smile