Dagny -- just back from REI. Not only can you order Surly bikes, but you can also order Surly frames. If you have the skills you can build up the bike with parts you like so it's exactly what you want or the techs at REI can build it for you. I took the REI comprehensive bike course so feel fairly comfortable saying I'd let them build it up. I'll probably get the complete LHT bike and then replace parts that don't work for me. (FWIW -- the tech I spoke with rides a Surly Cross Check)

Another bike I like for the all purpose bug-out bike you asked about is the Surly Karate Monkey. They had one in the REI bike shop in the build process. Rather than the single speed Surly sells this one had a 3 speed hub and 9 gear cassette. The KM looks like a really well built Cro-Moly MB frame (over-built?), with reinforcing at high stress points. The frame and fork are sized to accept (really) wide tires for snow. With the right tires for whatever conditions you face, the KM could do anything; however, what I said earlier about the LHT stands, it's a better long distance road bike. $.02