Originally Posted By: Mark_M
It's easier just to have a separate laptop or PC in the emergency room that's off the network and keep an image backup of the disk on a CD or USB drive for quick restore. What your talking about is possible but would require a lot of custom development and have limited capability if limited to BIOS/embedded OS.

I don't think that EMT's have any time to be dealing with that stuff in an ambulance or first response situation. For that purpose, a necklace or bracelet sounds like the best solution.

I'm not suggesting an embedded OS. The laptop would be OS independent and USB drives would have their own tiny OS (DOS) and a text file with medical information. Without its own OS, the laptop would be immune to viruses. Though highly unlikely, it is still possible for a USB drive to contain a program to disable the BIOS. This is where a secondary BIOS is handy. I'm simply suggesting that there is a safe and easy way to plug a USB drive into a laptop. The hard part would be to set this up as a standard procedure.

Anyhow, I have a medical ID bracelet on my left wrist and a medical information card in my wallet, front and center.

Jeanette Isabelle