Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Here is a breakdown of my current situation. I drive to and from work which is less than two miles from home. As mentioned before, I dress according to that day's forecast and unless I am dressed for a formal occasion, I always wear shoes appropriate for walking. Therefore I can walk home from work in appropriate footwear if I need to. If there is a train derailment I may need to walk further as I have to cross the rail road to and from work. There are restaurants, a pharmacy and a convenience store near work.

You are lucky to be so close to work, but in some ways this can also be a disadvantage. What if you live in a earthquake zone, or a location frequented by crippling snowstorms, tornadoes or hurricanes? Or if you live in a major city that's a potential target of terrorist or military attack? You might not be able or allowed to go home, or you might get there and find it's been destroyed.

I would make arrangements to leave a BOB at a relative's or friend's house further away, but still someplace you could get to reasonably, and then prepare my EDC with a goal of getting to that location.