Originally Posted By: Pete
Let me add a helpful comment here.

In the old days I used to do the same thing as a lot of people ... compile a list of items that I thought would be helpful - or cool - to have in a survival kit. This approach could be termed the "itemized list" way of doing things. There is some value to this. Specifically, the itemized list method will help you to identify some critical items for your survival kit that you might otherwise have forgotten. For this reason alone, it's a valuable step to take.

Nowadays, however, I do not use the itemized list approach as my primary way of designing a survival kit. Instead I use a method that could be termed the "functional survival approach". It works along the following lines:

I identify the essential activities that will be needed to survive over the period of time that is required - for the environment where I will be located. These are simple things: travel (e.g. walking), food, water, shelter, medicine & first-aid, sleeping, clothing & staying warm/cool. Then I work through the steps that are required to effectively do each activity - and make sure I have sufficient essential equipment to accomplish the tasks. The functional approach takes more time - but is guaranteed to be more reliable because you are forced to ask yourself exactly HOW you are going to do things.

Here is a breakdown of my current situation. I drive to and from work which is less than two miles from home. As mentioned before, I dress according to that day's forecast and unless I am dressed for a formal occasion, I always wear shoes appropriate for walking. Therefore I can walk home from work in appropriate footwear if I need to. If there is a train derailment I may need to walk further as I have to cross the rail road to and from work. There are restaurants, a pharmacy and a convenience store near work.

When I'm shopping, I'm a few miles away from home or further. Once again I'm in my car.

When I'm with family or friends, I'm their car. Rarely are we in mine.

Sometimes I drive to the nearest bus or train station to use public transportation. That is when I am most venerable since all I have is what's on me or in my purse. I can't think of any remote location where I can store gear when using public transportation.

Jeanette Isabelle