The personal dynamic that evolves on these shows is very real. Unfortunately, due to the element of competition involved in the show and the fact that everyone knows that they will not be allowed to truely suffer, that personal dynamic can't be trusted to reflect how people will behave in a true survival situation. I believe that there would probably be less competitive friction and distrust in a true survival situation. IMHO, If there were any real animosity / competition in a true survival situation it would be settled rather quickly by domination or annihilation. I have a rather optimistic view of true human nature when stripped down to survival. I believe that people would quickly recognize each other as helpful resources that need to be truested, aided and relied upon. I also believe that in a real survival situation, anyone who fails to live up to the above mentioned optimistic scenario would quickly be regarded as a life threat and treated as such.

This show displays a behavior set which reflects strong but safe competition not true survival cooperation vs competition for life.

I think that it is, at once, more competitive and more tame.