We're a little off-topic here from the original post. But i'll add some remarks because the info could be useful to people who travel ...
-------------------
Mark M said: "The agent stressed the point to always carry copies of your passport, and to secure your original as best you can. If anyone asks for your passport -- from hotels to law enforcement -- give them the copy and explain you don't have your original on you. This will usually be accepted and you will go on your way. Conversely, if you give up your original passport it might be confiscated and held ransom (although this, he said, was less likely in Ecuador than other places).Finally, he said if your original passport gets lost, stolen, held ransom, or whatever, if you have a copy the State Dept. will usually be able to verify your identity (including a comparison of your digitally-stored photo) and issue a temporary replacement on the same day, versus several days if you don't have a copy."

MY COMMENT:
Very good advice!
I take teams of people overseas - sometimes to "problem areas" of the world. I routinely require people to have a photocopy of their passport, and airline tickets. They also need to carry some backup passport photo's, and there are a number of procedures in case people have delays while reaching their destination by air.

All this stuff paid off in a big way this last summer when of the ladies on my team lost her passport in the UK (I'm not sure if it was an accident or stolen). The US Consulate in London was able to produce a duplicate passport for her very quickly - because she had the photocopy of the original document PLUS the spare passport photo's. Naturally, it is very distressing to people to suddenly discover that their travel documents are completely missing when they are about to board a plane. But having the backup copies helps tremendously!!

Passports are often required by banks and money exchanges overseas during cash transactions. I doubt very seriously that these places would accept a copy of your passport. So you wind up having to carry the real thing - at least when doing formal activities (like checking into a hotel or exchanging money). You just need to be super-careful with your important documents, and double-check frequently that you've got them on your person.

Pete