My son went on a trip with some classmates to Ecuador this summer to do volunteer work. One of the other parents works for the US Dept. of State, and as many parents had some concerns about safety and security, he arranged for a State Dept. security agent recently returned from Ecuador to explain the environment and what type of precautions should be taken, as well as how the State Dept would help in various scenarios.

The agent stressed the point to always carry copies of your passport, and to secure your original as best you can. If anyone asks for your passport -- from hotels to law enforcement -- give them the copy and explain you don't have your original on you. This will usually be accepted and you will go on your way. Conversely, if you give up your original passport it might be confiscated and held ransom (although this, he said, was less likely in Ecuador than other places).

Finally, he said if your original passport gets lost, stolen, held ransom, or whatever, if you have a copy the State Dept. will usually be able to verify your identity (including a comparison of your digitally-stored photo) and issue a temporary replacement on the same day, versus several days if you don't have a copy.

There's nothing on the ID page of my passport that isn't on my Driver's License except for the passport number itself. So I don't consider this any riskier than carrying my driver's license. But if I loose all other forms of ID, it is comforting to know I can make my way to a State Dept. office and get a new passport the same day. I could not do the same for my NJ driver's license -- I would first have to obtain the necessary 6-points of ID (of which a Passport is worth 4).