Mark_M--

You're so right about listing the meds (there's another forum on that...you've probably seen it). After my Mom had her stroke, I created med cards for her and my Dad. They (and I) carry them in our wallets and leave them on their kitchen table. When my Mom had to go to the hospital a few years later, it was so nice to hand EMT the card. I'm good about updating them.

But it's now occurred to me that even though I don't take ongoing meds, EMT should know that anyway. I keep a business card in my EDC (which I always have) with a listing of phone numbers I might need if I lose my phone/PDA/pocketbook. Tonight I'm going to write on the face "No known allergies" and "No maintenance therapy." Also my blood type. It's just as important for them to know that.

I'd be afraid of carrying a copy of my passport and other documents. But after I read your post, I made a very good color copy of my driver's license. I'll laminate it and put it in the EDC in case I lose my wallet in an emergency. At least it looks somwhat official and might help. I wouldn't carry a USB with personal info unless it was encrypted--just too afraid of losing it. I carry them, but with programs and nonessential stuff.

I used to carry QuikClot and Kerlix but don't anymore (it's in my car, though). I'd rather be able to carry it on me than in a pocketbook. But I'm going to rethink that. I didn't realize they carry granules (per your Celox comment). In the urban scenario I've tried to prepare for, that's an absolute major plus as opposed to small first aid stuff. The granule packet might be a bit lighter than the QuikClot sponges.

Don't worry--you didn't ramble!

Edited by UrbanKathy (11/21/09 02:09 AM)